Pages

July 6, 2010

Update from Libby

My class is going very well. I am learning a lot about teaching, especially teaching students of different cultures. On the one hand, my Asian students tend to be highly motivated and hard working. On the other hand, my local islanders tend to be extremely laid back and I am having trouble getting them to be responsible and take their education seriously. This is obviously a generalization. However, the two cultures clash consistently.

Last week, we discussed common word parts from Latin and Greek that show up often in English. Tomorrow, they have a test on the most common ones. Currently, I am teaching the students how to use context to determine the meaning of unknown words they come across when they read. Since it is such a small class, we are able to get a lot done and I am able to provide the students with individual assistance.

Please pray for one of my students who is not a Christian. This student knows a lot about Christianity as well as many other religions, but he does not believe in God. He is open to listening and is taking the basic Bible section of the English program. His English is very low, so pray for understanding of what he hears. I am so grateful that he is here and he chose PIU for his English training due to the low tuition costs.

In addition to teaching daily, I have also been able to put my graphic design training to use. I really enjoy deigning and wanted to see if I could be of any help to PIU. They were very excited for the offer and have already put me to work on their website and creating a flyer about their school.

Last week I was able to meet up with a friend who I graduated from college with. She is here teaching 6th grade at Christian school on Guam. What are the chances? It was very strange, but wonderful, knowing someone on this tiny island that is located across the world from our homes.

We have about 2 more weeks left here. I hope your summer is going well so far. Thank you for keeping up with our trip. We can't wait to fill you in on all the details.

Love, Libby

1 comment:

2SaintsMom said...

I will keep your student in my prayers. How wonderful about your use of graphic design! I so enjoy your updates and was glad to hear you met your friend from college. That is just amazing! God bless you both.

Love,

Mom